It's 2004 and I still haven't a DVD player. Since the XBox is now priced 150 euro, I thought I could buy one, add a modchip, install some software and make it a media player (with the bonus that I could play emulators and some game on the TV).
Some questions for people in the knows.
- Are the latest hardware revisions moddable? Should I look for an older revision?
- What modchip should I buy? I'd like to be region-free, both game- and dvd-wise. I can mod it myself, as far as basic soldering is involved.
- Is it possible to have *smooth* DVD playback on the XBox?
- If so, is there some kind of remote to control playback?
- What about *smooth* DivX / XviD playback? What about compatibility? Will all the movies play? Just some?
- Which are the available media decoders for the XBox?
- Where can I get emulators? Was MAMEX abandoned?
- Where can I get all the needed software? For free of course.
Before pulling out money I want to be sure that stuff will work.