As a new game to someone, very likely not. FF7 had many flaws going up against it, and the reason so many are deluded into seeing it as the game to look up to is that they ate the Sony shovel full of shit in the day that it was THE game, then everything else.
Seperating from the stupidity what have you got:
- Poor plot for an RPG
- Bad load times in areas
- Forced FMVs
- VERY long winded basic battles (crap that previously was like 1sec to get into a fight now taking like 20+sec)
- Also very long winded magic and especially so esper animations all unskippable
- Poorly placed saves just before some massive cutscene, fmv, etc (or combo) so if you fail you get a good 10min retread you are forced to stomach
- Visually outside of the 2D stills, even for PSX era stuff is fairly visually painful
- Game is dragged out in general too damn long which gets it very boring.
- The horseshit magic/skill system and its crippling stupid limitations (materia)
A lot of these things in later games like FF9 or just a lot of good stuff from other developers have much better things you can lose 50+hours on and find much more enjoyable. I mean if you just feel the need to have played all the FF titles, go for it, but outside of historical perspective it's just not worth it.