Forum Index | FAQ | New User | Login | Search

Make a New PostPrevious ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode


SubjectNeogeo on DS bitches new Reply to this message
Posted byTiyuri
Posted on04/30/08 05:21 PM



http://img.files-ds-scene.net/news2/smalls/NeoDS2_small.jpg

Yup it's real, yup it has sound, some games run at full speed, others are a little slow but close, majority of games are fully playable. Playing Garou on it right now

Get it here:

http://groups.google.com/group/neods

Roms have to be converted to .neo format with the built in converter application, you need to put all your (mame) neogeo roms, including bios in the same directory as the converter application, then run the application with -bios1.

Once all your games are converted, toss them all in the root dir of your SD card along with the neoDS.nds (patched if your cart requires it) and away you go.


SubjectIs CPS 1 or 2 possible on the DS? new Reply to this message
Posted byBuveed
Posted on04/30/08 05:33 PM



All this runs full speed on the PSP, but if it can run on a DS, it might be worth pursuing.




SubjectRe: Is CPS 1 or 2 possible on the DS? new Reply to this message
Posted byTiyuri
Posted on04/30/08 05:34 PM



> All this runs full speed on the PSP, but if it can run on a DS, it might be
> worth pursuing.
>

there are no emus that support it right now, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's not possible.




SubjectRe: Neogeo on DS bitches new Reply to this message
Posted byParatech
Posted on05/01/08 00:05 AM



How do you patch it, and how do you know if you need to patch it?

It sounds great, I've converted about 20 ROMS so far, just to see which ones will take.



> http://img.files-ds-scene.net/news2/smalls/NeoDS2_small.jpg
>
> Yup it's real, yup it has sound, some games run at full speed, others are a
> little slow but close, majority of games are fully playable. Playing Garou on it
> right now
>
> Get it here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/neods
>
> Roms have to be converted to .neo format with the built in converter
> application, you need to put all your (mame) neogeo roms, including bios in the
> same directory as the converter application, then run the application with
> -bios1.
>
> Once all your games are converted, toss them all in the root dir of your SD card
> along with the neoDS.nds (patched if your cart requires it) and away you go.
>


The new and improved King of Lamers 2003!


SubjectRe: Neogeo on DS bitches new Reply to this message
Posted byTiyuri
Posted on05/01/08 08:49 AM



If you have an R4, M3 or Cyclo (and a couple of other new ones) those carts auto DLDI patch roms as you put them on there. If you have an older card you'll need to apply the patch.

I have one of the former, so I've never DLDI patched before, probably better that you read the readme for the method, I don't think it's difficult though.


As for roms, so far I've tried kof2002, snk vs capcom, metal slug, garou, samurai showdown 5s, all of them work with very little slowdown and full sound. This is incredible for a first release, especially considering people have been saying this can't be done.


> How do you patch it, and how do you know if you need to patch it?
>
> It sounds great, I've converted about 20 ROMS so far, just to see which ones
> will take.
>
>
>
> > http://img.files-ds-scene.net/news2/smalls/NeoDS2_small.jpg
> >
> > Yup it's real, yup it has sound, some games run at full speed, others are a
> > little slow but close, majority of games are fully playable. Playing Garou on
> it
> > right now
> >
> > Get it here:
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/neods
> >
> > Roms have to be converted to .neo format with the built in converter
> > application, you need to put all your (mame) neogeo roms, including bios in
> the
> > same directory as the converter application, then run the application with
> > -bios1.
> >
> > Once all your games are converted, toss them all in the root dir of your SD
> card
> > along with the neoDS.nds (patched if your cart requires it) and away you go.
> >
>
>
> The new and improved King of Lamers 2003!
>





SubjectRe: Neogeo on DS bitches new Reply to this message
Posted byVmprHntrD
Posted on05/01/08 09:37 PM



> As for roms, so far I've tried kof2002, snk vs capcom, metal slug, garou,
> samurai showdown 5s, all of them work with very little slowdown and full sound.
> This is incredible for a first release, especially considering people have been
> saying this can't be done.
>
Goddamnit I'd love to try that out. :( Eventually I'm going to have to break down and get an R4 as I've done plenty of research to see it is the best and easiest to use (no pain in the ass patches, fixes, etc.)

I think it's comical bullshit so many wannabe knowitalls love to shit on the DS saying it can not do this or that...it's crap coming from halfassed porters and leeches. I remember peoples bullshit how the GBA couldn't do PC Engine, SNES, Genesis, etc. In the end SNES with hacks/asm and no sound ran 100% speed or damn near it on quite a few. PCEngine games with audio did like 75-100%, and I recall Genesis did quite damn well.

The point? It's all about shutting the fuck up, using your brain, and actually doing the big E...effort. I'd love to see what will happen when someone really buckles down and does a SNES emulator correctly not doing some shitty band-aid port. Also love to even just see the PCEngine Advance emu ported because it ran CDs and normal w/audio so fast already...DS would be extreme overhead for perfection... Genesis could be gold, Neo Geo Pocket Color, all the 8bit stuff, and much more...but it's people wanting to try. Sadly the PSP exists and lazies just like on PC want to use the larger pool to make it easier to shovel out their work as it's easy to port when you got a crapload of wiggleroom.




SubjectDS has better games -nt- new Reply to this message
Posted byHalcyon
Posted on05/01/08 09:51 PM








SubjectI like the DS. new Reply to this message
Posted byParatech
Posted on05/02/08 00:01 AM



I have about 7 games for it and other than the crappy Retro Atari pack I own, I love most of the other games. The Atari pack for the GBA nukes the DS version, which disappointed me as I thought it'd be superior like the Namco Remix is compared to the Namco 50th, at least according to you, as I haven't tried the Namco Remix yet.



The new and improved King of Lamers 2003!


Subjectgp2x must be eating devs new Reply to this message
Posted bynewsdee
Posted on05/02/08 08:29 AM



Both DS and PSP are locked down consoles that have to be hacked to dev on it. If you're the author of a free (or open source) emulator, you would tend to gravitate towards an open platform. There's the PC of course, but in handlheld consoles you have the GP2X. It supports a version of SDL so porting is apparently extremely easy (as long as you can fit stuff in a smaller screen).

You got to know what you want it for though. I went for a GP2X because I found myself using my GBA only for emulation... I would only play a regular game occasionally. PSP has a bigger screen and much much better 3D, but personally I don't care much about PSX emulation for the moment. There might be a next gen open portable console that can handle it. In the meanwhile I get 60FPS CPS1/2 and Neogeo on the commute (without sound though - it slows down a bit with it), 6-7 hour battery life, and a very good 320x240 screen that doesn't ghost.

Open consoles are rare and slightly more expensive because the company needs to make money on the unit itself, not on the licenses. But it's a great experience, you just put crap on your SD card and you're ready to go. No dicking around with expensive flash carts or weird software. It plays DivX so you can also use it as a media player. There's even a port of mplayer for it so you don't need to convert your movies if size is not an issue

The only downside is that it doesn't have a keyboard (they added a touchscreen recently to the latest GP2X, but not the same). Here the DS could be better as you'd use the 2nd screen for input. But truth be told, I rather emulate a PC on a small computer - like the EEE PC. Closer to the real thing, and still very portable.

With those two you're pretty much set up for anything that came before the PSX.
It's quite a large back catalog :-D



[download a life]


SubjectRe: Neogeo on DS bitches new Reply to this message
Posted byTiyuri
Posted on05/02/08 12:33 PM



> > As for roms, so far I've tried kof2002, snk vs capcom, metal slug, garou,
> > samurai showdown 5s, all of them work with very little slowdown and full
> sound.
> > This is incredible for a first release, especially considering people have
> been
> > saying this can't be done.
> >
> Goddamnit I'd love to try that out. :( Eventually I'm going to have to break
> down and get an R4 as I've done plenty of research to see it is the best and
> easiest to use (no pain in the ass patches, fixes, etc.)
>
> I think it's comical bullshit so many wannabe knowitalls love to shit on the DS
> saying it can not do this or that...it's crap coming from halfassed porters and
> leeches. I remember peoples bullshit how the GBA couldn't do PC Engine, SNES,
> Genesis, etc. In the end SNES with hacks/asm and no sound ran 100% speed or
> damn near it on quite a few. PCEngine games with audio did like 75-100%, and I
> recall Genesis did quite damn well.
>
> The point? It's all about shutting the fuck up, using your brain, and actually
> doing the big E...effort. I'd love to see what will happen when someone really
> buckles down and does a SNES emulator correctly not doing some shitty band-aid
> port. Also love to even just see the PCEngine Advance emu ported because it ran
> CDs and normal w/audio so fast already...DS would be extreme overhead for
> perfection... Genesis could be gold, Neo Geo Pocket Color, all the 8bit stuff,
> and much more...but it's people wanting to try. Sadly the PSP exists and lazies
> just like on PC want to use the larger pool to make it easier to shovel out
> their work as it's easy to port when you got a crapload of wiggleroom.
>
>

Jenesis is a DS Genesis emulator, has sound, majority of games run full speed.





SubjectI agree with you... IN THEORY new Reply to this message
Posted byHalcyon
Posted on05/02/08 05:39 PM



Sure I like a really powerful and well made truly open portable device that can run anything easily and works like a dream.

But you know what... after modding the 50th thing I have to run homebrew code and looking for what to run on it... I noticed all people do is port the same shit. Doom, Duke3D, Quake, Frozen Bubble, Snes9x, DGen, whatever. I've used all those a helluva lot and I continue to, but how many devices do I need that play those?

I kinda do want to play the original games they have for portables, such as Dragon Quest 9, or Ultimate Ghouls & Ghosts, or whatever.

I like the cool apps that people release as homebrew, but when it comes to games, people aren't really that creative. If they are, they inevitably end up with a job in the rapidly growing games industry or they are just releasing some clunky Flash game that could never really be ported to have a native version on anything.

Maybe people need a better free devkit that's simple as Flash for newbies to use or I dunno, but I'm kinda bored with the homebrew scene at the moment...


Subjecthomebrew is a strong point for it new Reply to this message
Posted bynewsdee
Posted on05/02/08 08:50 PM



As I said, you got to know what you want it for. If you want to play the latest games you need to get a PSP or a DS. I'm only looking at things from an emulation perspective, which is how I use handhelds. I like the convenience of not having to switch cartriges/CDs/memory cards, and the fact that I can save state anytime in the game. As an added bonus I can sometimes speed up the gameplay if it gets boring (looking at you Phantasy Star II). So to me, the gp2x is worth my money just for the emulation. The good homebrew scene is a plus, but it's not the main driver for buying it.

Interesting that you mention homebrew though, because it's a strong point for it anyway. There are a few "usual suspects" that get ported to every platform indeed, but that doesn't prevent other things from appearing, especially on the GP2X. It has ports I've never seen on another console (such as Frontier: Elite 2, Albion, Egoboo), a few original (albeit small) games (Flesh Chasmer (3D and 2D versions), Sqdef, BattleJewels, Wind & Water), many remakes from older consoles, and it's share of weird small games borne mostly from regular coding competitions. It looks like several GBA coders came over because it was easier to get dev tools (the official is free and open source).

Sure, if you port SDL to another platform, many of these can be brought over, so they're probably not "exclusives". That's not the point - this is an open platform so the only thing that matters is ease of use, ease of install, battery life, and how much horsepower it's got to run things. Eventually there's going to be something better and (in theory) the community should move over to it. If whoever makes a new machine is smart, they'll make it backwards compatible with the gp2x, so that no port is even necessary. They can get away with it because the firmware is open source. Try being a hardware company and releasing a GBA clone...

There is a popular site that houses most of the games and apps. It makes finding new stuff very easy (although not everything is stellar, I'll grant you that)
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi .

Personally I'd rather play the latest games on a TV with a "regular" console (Wii). Otherwise I feel I'm being charged a lot to replay old games, like how the DS has shitloads of N64 ports with slightly better textures (probably the PSP is similar with PSX ports). I got burned a few times when the newer game was not as good as the original (Animal Crossing->removed NES games, damn you Nintendo), or the game being just a big gimmick to use the stylus (Nintendogs), or there was zero effort to bring something over from the N64 (Mario64, Rayman). I know there's better games now, but I was an early adopter of the DS and it was all it had for a while.

You rant about lack of originality in homebrew, but the DS and PSP have its share of unoriginal turds and rip-offs as well. Fish Tycoon (yawn)? Diner Dash (ported flash game that the NES could handle)? Yeah they may be polished turds, but that doesn't remove the smell. And there's a bunch of overpriced ports which only justify a buy if you have a long commute or travel very often (otherwise, you can just play at home on the original system, or a PC, for cheaper).

To be honest, I was skeptical at first of the GP2X, and a waited a bit more than a year to see if it developed a good offering in emus. Turned out it had a strong community of developers, which contribute homebrew, ports and emulators. I was pleasantly surprised as how everything is centralized and easy to install.
And getting new games for it doesn't cost me a dime. My playtime/cost ratio for it is off the charts. Wish I could say the same for my DS... but I'm not going to bother hacking it to emulate the same systems.






[download a life]


SubjectI see what you mean new Reply to this message
Posted byHalcyon
Posted on05/02/08 09:37 PM



You know, they just need to get these things into stores so people can get their hands on them. You're right, the fact that it's a common target makes it more attractive so there is more original stuff, even out of homebrew. In fact the idea that it is a platform with no changing specs and that there is a huge dev community makes me want to try developing for it. If I ever saw one in the stores I'd be a lot more tempted to get one, and I bet it would make a lot of other people feel the same too when they get to hold it in their hands.

I guess I do want to play all the new games for other portables and consoles and am pretty busy with those... I wonder how much use I would get out of it. I have tons of unfinished games just because there are so many.

I did almost order a GP2x on a couple occasions... I just wish I had more time to be able to enjoy it and I guess I don't have enough time to enjoy all of the options it has to offer so it doesn't really suit me right now. If I was getting one as a gift I definitely would be happy and wouldn't turn it down.


Subjectyes you're right Reply to this message
Posted bynewsdee
Posted on05/03/08 00:15 AM



I guess I got mine at the right time... I had started wondering about a NDS flash cart. I thought about the GBA one gathering dust that I ended up only using for emus. Prices online for a cart where quite high still. I thought about a PSP but then looked at prices of games, and I judged the cost was too high to switch.

It's a shame they don't get to stores because I think they would sell very well. You can't judge build quality on pictures; if you can hold one it's a much easier decision. But it's a small start-up lost somewhere in Korea that probably does most of their business by mail. I was in the country and I expected to see the GP2X in the stores, but it's actually obscure even there. They did strike (modest) gold because they kept the loyal following of various devs and adhere to the OSS rules (give back the code).

They do advertise and go to trade shows (funnily enough in one pic you see the guy went with his family, and the daughter is playing with.... a DS mini), but it's very targeted. I only saw "consumer" advertisements in specialized print media (like the UK's Retrogamers magazine [bit fun btw, but nothing anybody here wouldn't know]).

But somehow it's cool to game on a console made by some guys with virtually no marketing department, with no pretenses to go after the big guys (and failing miserably like every other handheld before the PSP), and still coming with a good quality product.

Note though that they didn't design the low-level hardware. It's a system-on-a-chip (based around a couple of ARM CPUs) made by another Korean company called MagicEyes. A space to watch because they have higher powered chips, which probably will be the base for a newer handheld.




[download a life]


Previous ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode