Forum Index | FAQ | New User | Login | Search

Make a New PostView All Threads*Show in Threaded Mode


SubjectScanner is warmed up new Reply to this message
Posted byRoushiMSX
Posted on10/22/11 04:08 PM



Anyone got any requests for any PC game articles from the mid-late 90s that they'd like to see again? I have a pretty healthy collection of PC Gamer and Computer Games Strategy Plus along with a "couple" Computer Gaming Worlds (note: CGW is pretty well covered, yo).





Subjectcheck this out new Reply to this message
Posted bynewsdee
Posted on10/23/11 08:06 AM



Abandonware Magazines

OK, it actually only covers French mags, which makes it a bit simpler.

Back in the 90's there were several smaller editing houses in Paris that ran very good magazines. They competed for the top spots and tried interesting niche strategies.
(There was even one called "Pirates' Mag" and took pride that no video game company would give them games to review, so they claimed to be completely unbiased).

Ultimately though they were all doomed to fail because of the growth of the Internet. A few had successful net forums (or the equivalent of BBSes in France - the Minitel), but I suppose advertising wasn't there.
That means many of these mags are literally "abandoned". They weren't bought by a bigger editor who might try to enforce their copyright.

I used to write articles part-time for one of these mags in college.
Very good times, although I turned down the offer to go full-time when I was given one. I just didn't see myself becoming a journalist for a living.




[download a life]


SubjectRetromags provides a similar service for English peeps new Reply to this message
Posted byRoushiMSX
Posted on10/23/11 09:54 AM



Retromags

It's unfortunately console-centric with only bits and pieces of personal computer fun. :(

Even after all these years and with the ubiquity of the internet, I still like to subscribe to some magazines. PC Gamer and Game Informer arrive in my mailbox every month and I kept subscriptions to MaximumPC and Official Xbox Magazine longer than I probably should have.

I really miss Computer Gaming World




SubjectCheck out Retromags Reply to this message
Posted byitchyNADZ
Posted on10/23/11 05:35 PM



Link



> Retromags
>
> It's unfortunately console-centric with only bits and pieces of personal
> computer fun. :(
>
> Even after all these years and with the ubiquity of the internet, I still like
> to subscribe to some magazines. PC Gamer and Game Informer arrive in my mailbox
> every month and I kept subscriptions to MaximumPC and Official Xbox Magazine
> longer than I probably should have.
>
> I really miss Computer Gaming World
>







SubjectRe: Scanner is warmed up new Reply to this message
Posted byreptilezero
Posted on10/23/11 05:55 PM



Awesome post about the duke nukem forever stuff on reddit. Look forward to more of it!

> Anyone got any requests for any PC game articles from the mid-late 90s that
> they'd like to see again? I have a pretty healthy collection of PC Gamer and
> Computer Games Strategy Plus along with a "couple" Computer Gaming Worlds (note:
> CGW is pretty well covered, yo).
>



SubjectHeck yea! new Reply to this message
Posted byRoushiMSX
Posted on10/23/11 06:38 PM



> Awesome post about the duke nukem forever stuff on reddit. Look forward to more
> of it!

Glad you dug it. I did an Diablo one a few days ago and I'm slowly working on scanning enough stuff for a Starcraft one next. After that I'm doing a Daikatana one for a buddy of mine :D




SubjectDo you have anything on FX Fighter new Reply to this message
Posted byTi-BOne
Posted on10/24/11 07:12 AM



I remember all the hype that went into that game. And the fact that i actually enjoyed some of it.

That and Cyberia. And that game with Tia Carrere, those were all hyped like hell, and none of them lived up to "best game EVAR!" hype.
hehe.
Good times.


> Anyone got any requests for any PC game articles from the mid-late 90s that
> they'd like to see again? I have a pretty healthy collection of PC Gamer and
> Computer Games Strategy Plus along with a "couple" Computer Gaming Worlds (note:
> CGW is pretty well covered, yo).
>



SubjectRe: Do you have anything on FX Fighter new Reply to this message
Posted byskydoune
Posted on10/24/11 09:48 AM



Ha! I remember having a 486 DLC 40mhz computer, yeah, not intel DX or SX processor, these were made by Cyrix. That piece of shit wouldn't run fx fighter, I was so pissed! Same thing goes for Heretic. Ah the memories...




View All Threads*Show in Threaded Mode