Welcome to Emulationworld

Forum Index | FAQ | New User | Login | Search

Make a New PostPrevious ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode


Subjectdumping is too centralized as it is new Reply to this message
Posted byCottonFND
Posted on01/03/05 01:15 AM



Maybe it'll be a good thing if other people either are motivated to learn how to/aquire equipment to dump. Might cut down on all the board sending, etc. It would be nice if there was a skilled dumper in each or almost region for the MAME project so boards could avoid oversea travel except in some cases.

Another good thing that might come of this could be more concentration on older games.

I'd think it would be of great interest to the MAME project to have as many skilled dumpers as possible. Instead of haveing a bottleneck.

When I'm alone at night I like to open my folders of ROMs and just drool.


SubjectRe: dumping is too centralized as it is new Reply to this message
Posted bySixtoe
Posted on01/03/05 03:16 AM



> Maybe it'll be a good thing if other people either are motivated to learn how
> to/aquire equipment to dump. Might cut down on all the board sending, etc. It
> would be nice if there was a skilled dumper in each or almost region for the
> MAME project so boards could avoid oversea travel except in some cases.

You obviuously have no concept how expensive the setups are, anyone can dump basic roms (and do, there are people we have all over the world who can) but when you start looking at the more recent (1990 onwards) PCB's they have all sorts of custom/surface mounted chips, each needing custom adaptors (and thats assuming you have a base unit capable of reading them all, which most are not). The money involved runs into thousands or requires building your own equipment which needs a certain amount of skill, and complete setups like guru's run in to tens of thousands. Its just not economically viable to sponsor more than one setup,

In the mean time there are still a few people round the world who can and do dump stuff on a regular basis and will be able to deal with all but the awkward cases,

Six...

System16 - The Arcade Museum


SubjectRe: dumping is too centralized as it is new Reply to this message
Posted byfinaldave
Posted on01/03/05 08:32 AM



> Maybe it'll be a good thing if other people either are motivated to learn how
> to/aquire equipment to dump. Might cut down on all the board sending, etc. It
> would be nice if there was a skilled dumper in each or almost region for the
> MAME project so boards could avoid oversea travel except in some cases.
>
> Another good thing that might come of this could be more concentration on older
> games.
>
> I'd think it would be of great interest to the MAME project to have as many
> skilled dumpers as possible. Instead of haveing a bottleneck.

Oh so it's a "BOTTLENECK" now. Hahahahaha!
LOL! Oh how the RG boards amuse me, I was waiting for that one.

News: XXX has just announced he isn't got to do YYY
Some lamer: "Actually when you think about it we didn't really need for XXX to do YYY anyway, hey who needs XXX anyway"


Different year, same old bollocks!


"You've just got to love those earnest,nerdy types.(They're great in bed.)" - Shirley Manson



SubjectRe: dumping is too centralized as it is Reply to this message
Posted byLilwolf
Posted on01/03/05 01:46 PM



talking about equipment. Doesn't he get the hardware purchased by the dumping team? If he really isn't going to dump for a while, hopefully he will send the equipment to others if paid by donations.

But I'm really hoping he continues... but just doesn't talk about it. People didn't bother the dumpers when the dumpers didn't advertise whos dumping what.

But it does suck that hes getting bitched at for any reason. Hes done AMAZING work around here for years now.






Subjectthen do something about it other than complain new Reply to this message
Posted byRaiden16
Posted on01/03/05 04:17 PM



No one is stopping you or anyone from starting their own dumping operation. Anyone can dump roms from pcbs if they want to and have the knowledge or are willing to get the knowledge and skills involved.

The reason any "rom dumping" is as you say "centralized" is because that's the only group you've heard of lately dumping any roms. Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

Now unless you donated to some dumping group's cause, you have no reason to complain. Now if you want people, other than you, to donate money to setup another operation just to suit you, that's just silly. Now I don't know what happened, if someone stopped (Guru?) but even so, someone will take their place in time. So get over it, and get a hobby other than telling people they need to get you more free warez.




SubjectRe: then do something about it other than complain new Reply to this message
Posted byCottonFND
Posted on01/03/05 05:30 PM



Sorry you seemed to read stuff into that I didn't intend. I honestly don't even care that much. I haven't used a emulator or a game really in over a year. I didn't really play much outside the 80's when I did play so I don't really want anyone to dump me "free warez".

> No one is stopping you or anyone from starting their own dumping operation.
> Anyone can dump roms from pcbs if they want to and have the knowledge or are
> willing to get the knowledge and skills involved.
>
> The reason any "rom dumping" is as you say "centralized" is because that's the
> only group you've heard of lately dumping any roms. Just because you don't hear
> about it doesn't mean it's not happening.
>
> Now unless you donated to some dumping group's cause, you have no reason to
> complain. Now if you want people, other than you, to donate money to setup
> another operation just to suit you, that's just silly. Now I don't know what
> happened, if someone stopped (Guru?) but even so, someone will take their place
> in time. So get over it, and get a hobby other than telling people they need to
> get you more free warez.
>


When I'm alone at night I like to open my folders of ROMs and just drool.


SubjectRe: dumping is too centralized as it is new Reply to this message
Posted bynight_waxon
Posted on01/03/05 05:43 PM



> News: XXX has just announced he isn't got to do YYY
> Some lamer: "Actually when you think about it we didn't really need for XXX to
> do YYY anyway, hey who needs XXX anyway"
>
>
> Different year, same old bollocks!

You really need to get out more finaldave.





SubjectRe: dumping is too centralized as it is new Reply to this message
Posted byCottonFND
Posted on01/03/05 07:10 PM



I do understand how expensive it is although I probably don't actually have it as clear as I think. I didn't actually expect any viable alternative.

I guess bottleneck was a bad word to use maybe, as finaldave thought it was pretty funny/lame I guess.

I was also thinking of it in terms of non-game related things. For instance if I was a lawyer or a company that wanted to stop emulation. I'd go afer dumpers with the non-standard equipment even if I didn't have real legal basis for a good case or even the ability to go to court without getting the case dismissed .

Additionally, I was thinking about if one of the dumpers with the more specilized equipment suddenly couldn't dump anymore due to a non-voluntary issue/problem (i.e. maybe a medical issue).

I was mainly wondering if it was feasible to increase the amount of dumpers and from the info you've given me I guess it's not. Thanks for the information though.


> > Maybe it'll be a good thing if other people either are motivated to learn how
> > to/aquire equipment to dump. Might cut down on all the board sending, etc.
> It
> > would be nice if there was a skilled dumper in each or almost region for the
> > MAME project so boards could avoid oversea travel except in some cases.
>
> You obviuously have no concept how expensive the setups are, anyone can dump
> basic roms (and do, there are people we have all over the world who can) but
> when you start looking at the more recent (1990 onwards) PCB's they have all
> sorts of custom/surface mounted chips, each needing custom adaptors (and thats
> assuming you have a base unit capable of reading them all, which most are not).
> The money involved runs into thousands or requires building your own equipment
> which needs a certain amount of skill, and complete setups like guru's run in to
> tens of thousands. Its just not economically viable to sponsor more than one
> setup,
>
> In the mean time there are still a few people round the world who can and do
> dump stuff on a regular basis and will be able to deal with all but the awkward
> cases,
>
> Six...
>
> System16 - The Arcade Museum
>


When I'm alone at night I like to open my folders of ROMs and just drool.


SubjectRe: dumping is too centralized as it is new Reply to this message
Posted byfinaldave
Posted on01/04/05 06:55 AM



> > News: XXX has just announced he isn't got to do YYY
> > Some lamer: "Actually when you think about it we didn't really need for XXX to
> > do YYY anyway, hey who needs XXX anyway"
> >
> >
> > Different year, same old bollocks!
>
> You really need to get out more finaldave.
>

...What, that's it?
Bor---ring, see further down for some good Dave slagging, a-la 2001. You didn't even manage to insert any Nazi comments!

Amateur.


"You've just got to love those earnest,nerdy types.(They're great in bed.)" - Shirley Manson



Previous ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode