Welcome to Emulationworld

Forum Index | FAQ | New User | Login | Search

Make a New PostPrevious ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode


Subjectare there any emu's for the Qtopia platform? Reply to this message
Posted byitherod
Posted on03/26/05 04:06 PM



Now that Archos has *finally* come out with a HDD-based portable video player that has an app-supporting OS (the PMA420, running Qtopia OS) *and* released the SDK too (!), I'd like to know if anyone has any knowledge of emus for this platform, or the posibility of emus.

I do know that the Zaurus has been using Qtopia for a while, so there are some serviceable apps and games, but with the added storage capacity of the new Archos PMA420, running an emu with plenty of roms seems more feasible and attractive than ever.

Any thoughts from you gurus?


SubjectRe: are there any emu's for the Qtopia platform? new Reply to this message
Posted byR. Belmont
Posted on03/29/05 07:51 PM



If it's Qtopia over Linux like the Zaurus, I would assume most Linux emus would port pretty easily.

Of course, how good they ran would depend on the CPU and stuff, and I don't see that listed.


SubjectRe: are there any emu's for the Qtopia platform? new Reply to this message
Posted byitherod
Posted on03/29/05 11:13 PM



Yes, it's the Linux ver like Zaurus. I Googled it and found a whole page of Zaurus apps, including two or three emus, but they're a little out of date.

A page with the internal specs of the Archos PMA400 is here
http://www.kevinboone.com/insidepma400.html

I think the prospect of just trying to use the Zaurus-apps is a tricky one. But I'm willing to try anyway! Thanks for your reply and any advice/help. This has been a long time coming for me! Here's hoping!

> If it's Qtopia over Linux like the Zaurus, I would assume most Linux emus would
> port pretty easily.
>
> Of course, how good they ran would depend on the CPU and stuff, and I don't see
> that listed.
>





SubjectRe: are there any emu's for the Qtopia platform? new Reply to this message
Posted byR. Belmont
Posted on03/30/05 06:27 PM



Mmmph. It sounds like the main CPU is pretty slow (150 MHz. vs. 400 on the latest Zaurus), and they get around it with lots of specialized hardware. I wouldn't expect any emulators to work well on that thing.




SubjectRe: are there any emu's for the Qtopia platform? new Reply to this message
Posted byitherod
Posted on03/31/05 11:27 AM



Bummer! I think that's just what I was told the last time I begged for an emu for my old Archos JBMM. (sigh)

So really, you think it's not strong enough even for really light games like Pacman, Mr.Do, etc?

Just knowing that there is a fuctioning Qtopia-MAME out there is making my mouth water, though, hoping it could be tweaked for the Archos. You know of ZMAME? http://zmame.mameworld.net/

Here's the spec sheet for the OMAP1510 processor. Maybe you could see some greater possibilities?
http://tinyurl.com/5c8pq

I don't know how specialized your expertise is, R., but I would gladly suffer through all sorts of frame-skipping and choppy sound to get this! Of course that's easy for me to say - I'm not a programmer. But it seems to me like the old days, a new frontier, buggy, pushing the envelope. Nicola would be proud! Just think, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" could contain a working version of MAME.
%^D


> Mmmph. It sounds like the main CPU is pretty slow (150 MHz. vs. 400 on the
> latest Zaurus), and they get around it with lots of specialized hardware. I
> wouldn't expect any emulators to work well on that thing.
>





SubjectRe: are there any emu's for the Qtopia platform? new Reply to this message
Posted byTkChris
Posted on04/06/05 05:56 PM



> Now that Archos has *finally* come out with a HDD-based portable video player
> that has an app-supporting OS (the PMA420, running Qtopia OS) *and* released the
> SDK too (!), I'd like to know if anyone has any knowledge of emus for this
> platform, or the posibility of emus.
>
> I do know that the Zaurus has been using Qtopia for a while, so there are some
> serviceable apps and games, but with the added storage capacity of the new
> Archos PMA420, running an emu with plenty of roms seems more feasible and
> attractive than ever.
>
> Any thoughts from you gurus?
>

This place has some emus for zaurus.




Previous ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode