Welcome to Emulationworld

Forum Index | FAQ | New User | Login | Search

Make a New PostPrevious ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode


SubjectOT but quick! Can anyone help, Direct3D frame rate, can it be locked? Reply to this message
Posted byIceMan
Posted on05/18/05 08:00 PM



Is there a utility somewhere to limit the maximum framerate of Direct3D? Currently whatever you set the refresh rate of your desktop can be used in Direct3D games too, but no slower than 60Hz.

The reason I ask is the PC version of Wipout 2097/XL which above about 30fps runs unplayably fast, and due to slack programming it runs at whatever your refresh rate is!

So, for example, does anyone know of an application where I can force the maximum refresh rate of Direct3D to, say, 30fps?

p.s. I tried various slow-down utilites but as I have hyper-threading they only appear to affect one thread and the game uses the other, flat out and unplayable as ever!

Ice




SubjectRe: Direct3D frame rate new Reply to this message
Posted bySune_S
Posted on05/18/05 08:21 PM



> Is there a utility somewhere to limit the maximum framerate of Direct3D?
> Currently whatever you set the refresh rate of your desktop can be used in
> Direct3D games too, but no slower than 60Hz.
>
> The reason I ask is the PC version of Wipout 2097/XL which above about 30fps
> runs unplayably fast, and due to slack programming it runs at whatever your
> refresh rate is!

Maybe it's caused by your video card drivers? Maybe there's a tweak program somewhere that enables you to turn off v-sync for D3D games.

-Sune




SubjectRe: Direct3D frame rate new Reply to this message
Posted byIceMan
Posted on05/19/05 08:05 AM



no it's definitely sloppy programming as the game is quite old, I don't think they intended it to run on machines above 200MHz or so! I can lock v-sync on and turn on all anti-aliasing etc but the framerate at 60fps is too fast in the game :-p




SubjectRe: Direct3D frame rate new Reply to this message
Posted bySune_S
Posted on05/19/05 01:00 PM



> no it's definitely sloppy programming as the game is quite old, I don't think
> they intended it to run on machines above 200MHz or so! I can lock v-sync on and
> turn on all anti-aliasing etc but the framerate at 60fps is too fast in the game
> :-p

Maybe you can use one of those utilities that slows down your CPU. Or you could underclock your graphics card! L337.

-Sune





Subjecthehe new Reply to this message
Posted byIceMan
Posted on05/19/05 01:59 PM



> Maybe you can use one of those utilities that slows down your CPU. Or you could underclock your graphics card! L337.

I refer you to my first post:

"p.s. I tried various slow-down utilites but as I have hyper-threading they only appear to affect one thread and the game uses the other, flat out and unplayable as ever!"

I meant CPU slow-down utilities

Ice




SubjectRe: hehe new Reply to this message
Posted bySune_S
Posted on05/19/05 02:42 PM



> > Maybe you can use one of those utilities that slows down your CPU. Or you
> could underclock your graphics card! L337.
>
> I refer you to my first post:
>
> "p.s. I tried various slow-down utilites but as I have hyper-threading they only
> appear to affect one thread and the game uses the other, flat out and unplayable
> as ever!"
>
> I meant CPU slow-down utilities

Ooops, okay. Hmm I don't know about this new-fangled technology :-) but maybe it's possible to disable hyperthreading entirely, maybe in the BIOS or with a utility from the motherboard manufacturer? Or via a Batch file that you run before starting the game. Then you could use a slow down utility.

-Sune






SubjectRe: hehe new Reply to this message
Posted byIceMan
Posted on05/20/05 07:08 AM



yes it's possible but not desirable just for one game! I was wondering if there's any generic application to lock the framerate of Direct3D temporarily but I guess not :-p




SubjectRe: hehe new Reply to this message
Posted bysmf
Posted on05/21/05 03:33 AM



try one of the pc emulators, that will slow it down.

smf





Previous ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode