Welcome to Emulationworld

Forum Index | FAQ | New User | Login | Search

Make a New PostPrevious ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode


SubjectWhere to get SNES backup device new Reply to this message
Posted byunknownsou
Posted on06/08/05 09:45 PM



So I've got quite a few Super Nintendo games and I want to back them up... where can I find some sort of backup device (don't care how fast it is or what features it has, just something cheap to get the game from the cart to my computer.)




SubjectRe: Where to get SNES backup device new Reply to this message
Posted bysaulin
Posted on06/08/05 11:10 PM



Why bother? They have all should be dumped by now and can be found on the newsgroups.

> So I've got quite a few Super Nintendo games and I want to back them up... where
> can I find some sort of backup device (don't care how fast it is or what
> features it has, just something cheap to get the game from the cart to my
> computer.)
>



SubjectRe: Where to get SNES backup device new Reply to this message
Posted byCorvus
Posted on06/09/05 04:50 AM



Who knows. I have some undumped NES games here. I would dump them, but i don't know how. Maybe the SNES games i have are undumped too.

Take a look here. I think the hardware they sell works for dumping too.

> Why bother? They have all should be dumped by now and can be found on the
> newsgroups.
>
> > So I've got quite a few Super Nintendo games and I want to back them up...
> where
> > can I find some sort of backup device (don't care how fast it is or what
> > features it has, just something cheap to get the game from the cart to my
> > computer.)
> >
>





SubjectRe: Where to get SNES backup device new Reply to this message
Posted byclem
Posted on06/09/05 08:18 AM



If you would risk to send them around, ask Cowering, he knows ppl who can dump almost any console cartridge.

I sent an undumped cartridge to Badge once and he dumped it for me, worked great

clem

> Who knows. I have some undumped NES games here. I would dump them, but i don't
> know how. Maybe the SNES games i have are undumped too.
>
> Take a look here. I think the hardware they sell works for dumping too.
>
> > Why bother? They have all should be dumped by now and can be found on the
> > newsgroups.
> >
> > > So I've got quite a few Super Nintendo games and I want to back them up...
> > where
> > > can I find some sort of backup device (don't care how fast it is or what
> > > features it has, just something cheap to get the game from the cart to my
> > > computer.)
> > >
> >
>



SubjectRe: Where to get SNES backup device new Reply to this message
Posted byCorvus
Posted on06/09/05 08:35 AM



I never thought about contacting Cowering. I thought about Guru in the past, but as he is always busy and Australia is too far from me...

I will try contacting him.

> If you would risk to send them around, ask Cowering, he knows ppl who can dump
> almost any console cartridge.
>
> I sent an undumped cartridge to Badge once and he dumped it for me, worked great
>
> clem
>
> > Who knows. I have some undumped NES games here. I would dump them, but i don't
> > know how. Maybe the SNES games i have are undumped too.
> >
> > Take a look here. I think the hardware they sell works for dumping too.
> >
> > > Why bother? They have all should be dumped by now and can be found on the
> > > newsgroups.
> > >
> > > > So I've got quite a few Super Nintendo games and I want to back them up...
> > > where
> > > > can I find some sort of backup device (don't care how fast it is or what
> > > > features it has, just something cheap to get the game from the cart to my
> > > > computer.)
> > > >
> > >
> >
>





SubjectRe: Where to get SNES backup device new Reply to this message
Posted byclem
Posted on06/09/05 01:40 PM



I think Guru specialized in arcade boards, means taking the ROMS off the board and reading them in (which of course would ruin most console games).

Also sent a NES cart to some guy for dumping once, never regretted it (think of me whenever you play the German version of Kirby's Adventure on NES ^^)

clem

> I never thought about contacting Cowering. I thought about Guru in the past, but
> as he is always busy and Australia is too far from me...
>
> I will try contacting him.
>
> > If you would risk to send them around, ask Cowering, he knows ppl who can dump
> > almost any console cartridge.
> >
> > I sent an undumped cartridge to Badge once and he dumped it for me, worked
> great
> >
> > clem
> >
> > > Who knows. I have some undumped NES games here. I would dump them, but i
> don't
> > > know how. Maybe the SNES games i have are undumped too.
> > >
> > > Take a look here. I think the hardware they sell works for dumping too.
> > >
> > > > Why bother? They have all should be dumped by now and can be found on the
> > > > newsgroups.
> > > >
> > > > > So I've got quite a few Super Nintendo games and I want to back them
> up...
> > > > where
> > > > > can I find some sort of backup device (don't care how fast it is or what
> > > > > features it has, just something cheap to get the game from the cart to
> my
> > > > > computer.)
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>



SubjectRe: Reading cartridge roms directly new Reply to this message
Posted bymamegodx
Posted on06/09/05 05:14 PM



> taking the ROMS off the board
> and reading them in (which of course would ruin most console games).


Why exactly would this wreck the game? As long as you had the ability to solder and desolder the proper roms, I don't see an issue with this approach.

While most carts are dumped via conventional copiers and homemade devices, I'm fairly certain that direct reads of the chips have also occured.

For NES games, this would actually be more accurate because you get the PRG and CHR dumps seperately instead of 1 combined *.NES file. The same would apply to other systems as well.








SubjectRe: Where to get SNES backup device new Reply to this message
Posted byunknownsou
Posted on06/10/05 00:28 AM



From a technical standpoint, I just wanna make sure, the roms I find on newsgroups and such are exactly the same in every way to the carts that I own. Correct?


SubjectRe: Reading cartridge roms directly new Reply to this message
Posted byclem
Posted on06/10/05 08:13 AM



Just thought it'd be kinda hard to get around the non-standard screws; but then again you're probably right, whoever has the ability to desolder roms will also have the right screwdrivers to get around those security screws

clem

> > taking the ROMS off the board
> > and reading them in (which of course would ruin most console games).
>
>
> Why exactly would this wreck the game? As long as you had the ability to solder
> and desolder the proper roms, I don't see an issue with this approach.
>
> While most carts are dumped via conventional copiers and homemade devices, I'm
> fairly certain that direct reads of the chips have also occured.
>
> For NES games, this would actually be more accurate because you get the PRG and
> CHR dumps seperately instead of 1 combined *.NES file. The same would apply to
> other systems as well.
>



SubjectRe: Reading cartridge roms directly new Reply to this message
Posted bymamegodx
Posted on06/10/05 12:42 PM



Oh ok, this was a case of actually opening the plastic not actually damaging the roms.

I think you can get the tools oyu need off Ebay fairly cheap :)

> Just thought it'd be kinda hard to get around the non-standard screws; but then
> again you're probably right, whoever has the ability to desolder roms will also
> have the right screwdrivers to get around those security screws





SubjectThey'll be different Reply to this message
Posted byRoushiMSX
Posted on06/10/05 05:06 PM



Depends on the copier you get and what kind of header is applied along with like..other stuff.

Make sure you get real familiar with Ucon64. Awesome program and an absolute life saver.




SubjectRe: Reading cartridge roms directly new Reply to this message
Posted byclem
Posted on06/11/05 04:28 AM



yeah, I said "ruin the game", not "ruin the rom data" - if you have one of the few undumped carts around today chances are big you're a collector and the game is hella rare - so damaging the plastic cartridge is probably something you don't want to risk

clem

> Oh ok, this was a case of actually opening the plastic not actually damaging the
> roms.
>
> I think you can get the tools oyu need off Ebay fairly cheap :)
>
> > Just thought it'd be kinda hard to get around the non-standard screws; but
> then
> > again you're probably right, whoever has the ability to desolder roms will
> also
> > have the right screwdrivers to get around those security screws
>



Previous ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode