Welcome to Emulationworld

Forum Index | FAQ | New User | Login | Search

Make a New PostPrevious ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode


SubjectThe New Tetris video new Reply to this message
Posted byRoushiMSX
Posted on07/18/05 07:54 PM



So it's been bugging me for a long ass time that The New Tetris' graphic effects aren't properly emulated (and if they are, could someone please share the magical configuration that enables them to not suck?), so here's a quickie video I popped out.

http://roushimsx.shackspace.com/videos/The_New_Tetris_Demo2_x264.avi

It's encoded with x264, so you'll need an h264 codec. VideoLAN Client 0.8.2 will work dandy in a pinch.

Hopefully this helps some people... I'll knock out some gameplay videos of Stunt Racer 64 and Excitebike 64 later too, if needed.




SubjectStunt Racer 64 new Reply to this message
Posted byRoushiMSX
Posted on07/19/05 06:16 AM



This is from the second circuit so the AI isn't too challenging and the course I'm racing on doesn't really favor big stunt players, so I try to keep on the ground as much as possible.

Stunt Racer 64 video

It's in 640x240 because the game forces the replays into a letterboxed "hi res" mode if you have the memory expansion pak for the N64. You can play like this as well, but it chops out large chunks in the top and bottom, so it's really just a worthless feature.

But yea, the engine is slick, controls great, love the arcade physics, and the graphics are really nice for the N64. Whenever I have time, I'd like to record a video of one of the more complex stages :)

Encoded in XviD this time while I get a better handle on h264




Subjecton the gfx new Reply to this message
Posted byPr3tty F1y
Posted on07/19/05 10:27 AM



Definitely better than most n64 games, almost on par with the cheap DC games ;-)


_ _ - - = = Pr3tty F1y = = - - _ _


SubjectRe: The New Tetris video new Reply to this message
Posted byOoga
Posted on07/19/05 12:13 PM



> So it's been bugging me for a long ass time that The New Tetris' graphic effects
> aren't properly emulated (and if they are, could someone please share the
> magical configuration that enables them to not suck?), so here's a quickie video
> I popped out.
>
> http://roushimsx.shackspace.com/videos/The_New_Tetris_Demo2_x264.avi
>
> It's encoded with x264, so you'll need an h264 codec. VideoLAN Client 0.8.2 will
> work dandy in a pinch.
>
> Hopefully this helps some people... I'll knock out some gameplay videos of Stunt
> Racer 64 and Excitebike 64 later too, if needed.
>
>


Is anyone actually working on an N64 emulator these days?


SubjectRe: The New Tetris video new Reply to this message
Posted byVmprHntrD
Posted on07/19/05 02:19 PM



> Is anyone actually working on an N64 emulator these days?
>
Believe it or not semi-recently (last few months) Project 64 was resurrected and the new 1.6 version has some great new plugins that cleaned up a lot of issues, increased quite a bit of compatibility, and more. Also I know that RICE guy still works on his video plugin as well but they just silently get updated on that emutalk.net forum.

N64 isn't quite a dead area for emulation, just very undeground I guess.




SubjectRe: Stunt Racer 64 Reply to this message
Posted byVmprHntrD
Posted on07/19/05 03:17 PM



Holy shit dude those bastards really were stupid not making that game anything more than a rental. Kind of figures since Indy was such top grade material too. Sometimes the stupidity of companies really can be amazing.

Visually the game is stunning. In some ways it feels like a mix of N64 and very low end Dreamcast as the visuals are very present, soft, almost 'cell shaded' like a tad bit. The engine sound present was fairly nice and shifted over well, other effects I heard were crisp too. The music was typical N64 midi fare, but it was a decent selection too.

Damn now I kinda really want that game, did before but never knew much beyond untrustworthy commercial site reviews, but that really seems nice.

Great find on that sucker. Good job.




SubjectRe: The New Tetris video new Reply to this message
Posted byBart T.
Posted on07/19/05 05:11 PM



> > Is anyone actually working on an N64 emulator these days?
> >

The real question is: Is anybody working on complete emulation of the graphics hardware? It's my understanding that the commands sent to the GPU (Reality whatever-Nintendo-calls-it) are not understood and HLE is used as a crutch. Surely by now someone must be able to take a stab at it.



SubjectRe: The New Tetris video new Reply to this message
Posted byVmprHntrD
Posted on07/19/05 07:14 PM



> The real question is: Is anybody working on complete emulation of the graphics
> hardware? It's my understanding that the commands sent to the GPU (Reality
> whatever-Nintendo-calls-it) are not understood and HLE is used as a crutch.
> Surely by now someone must be able to take a stab at it.
>

Well actually last I checked both Jabo's and Rice's video plugins do not use HLE at all, just very highly optimized so the speed stays up. But there is a problem. The core emulator of both PJ64 and 1964 (and likely the lesser complete ones) all lack something... an accurate core to work off of, and the video plugins also lack knowledge of a few UCODEs (such as the one that powers Indiana Jones and Battle for Naboo.) Due to this shit apparantly both Jabo and Rice are up against a wall because whenever they can fix something to work right, something else tends to break. They can't win because no one cares to make a correctly working backbone N64 core setup so those video plugins can b behave right so the fixes really fix something.

So basically until someone decides to stop pussyfootin' around and fix that shit, or better yet someone starts up a NEW N64 project and actually TRIES it's not likely going to get much better than it is now. Sorry.




SubjectRe: The New Tetris video new Reply to this message
Posted byMooglyGuy
Posted on07/20/05 11:25 AM



> The core emulator of both PJ64 and 1964 (and likely the lesser
> complete ones) all lack something... an accurate core to work off of, and the
> video plugins also lack knowledge of a few UCODEs (such as the one that powers
> Indiana Jones and Battle for Naboo.)

This is somewhat true. However, optimally, an emulator would lack knowledge about all microcodes. It would just emulate uploading the appropriate data to the goddamn RSP, and it would just emulate the goddamn RSP, and everything would be just peachy. But nobody wants to make that step because they're afraid it'll be slow and none of the kiddiez want that. Even though a decently-written one wouldn't be slow.


SubjectRe: The New Tetris video new Reply to this message
Posted byBart T.
Posted on07/20/05 02:53 PM



>It would just emulate uploading the appropriate data to
> the goddamn RSP, and it would just emulate the goddamn RSP, and everything would
> be just peachy. But nobody wants to make that step because they're afraid it'll
> be slow and none of the kiddiez want that. Even though a decently-written one
> wouldn't be slow.

That just can't be the reason.

The last time I asked, I recall someone admitting that the RSP is undocumented. If the documentation existed, I'm sure it would have been emulated in no time but apparently it is more complex than one would think.

Or is this not actually the case?



SubjectRe: The New Tetris video new Reply to this message
Posted byMooglyGuy
Posted on07/22/05 11:36 AM



> Or is this not actually the case?

According to a conversation I had with someone, I think it was _Demo_ (but don't quote me on that), someone had managed to write a video plugin with basic low-level emulation of the RDP, enough to get Super Mario 64 displaying things with "proper" emulation, but it was very slow (I can't understand why) and had spurious graphics glitches, as the person I talked to estimated that currently, non-HLE RSP emulation is about 95% accurate.

I'd say the main problem with getting accurate N64 emulation would be dumping the internal ROM in the PI that it initially boots from.


Previous ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode