Welcome to Emulationworld

Forum Index | FAQ | New User | Login | Search

Make a New PostPrevious ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode


SubjectI have come to the conclusion that my computer is an idiot... new Reply to this message
Posted byDeath Knight
Posted on07/28/04 04:27 PM



I was getting some weird crashes before the mobo finally died and now that i swapped it, it's STILL crashing when i try to run some heavy game or something of the sort.

I unninstalled SW:KOTOR because the damn thing kept hanging ( regular windows error message usually ) a few minutes into the game. I tried changing a bunch of options, to no avail and chalked it off to it being an old install, before i formatted the main drive, swapped the mobo and re-installed windows.

But now i installed FarCry and something similar is happening. Once, after a few minutes playing, i get a BSD and a full crash, tried it again, and after a bit longer, the game just closes out of the blue without any error message. I'm afraid to try again and seeing smoke fly off. :-P

Does anybody have any idea what the hell might be happening here? I'm completly at a loss.
I've directx9b, ran windows update a couple of days ago, the hds are perfectly defragged, the agp and ram slots are squeaky clean, as are the respective connectors on the card and ram, the comp hasn't been pushed to any extreme. I just can't grasp what the fuck it could be.

FYI, i'm running an XP 1800, 768MB DDR266, GfTi 4 4200 on XP Pro.

And that's without mentioning the avalanche of bullshit i'm getting from other software such as Visualboy advance, ICQ, Video Lan, etc. Computers are an extremely annoying hobby.

Could somebody please try to shed some light on the possible causes and hopefully, sollutions to this bugger's bullshit?


Gives us a kiss precious.


SubjectRe: I have come to the conclusion that my computer is an idiot... new Reply to this message
Posted byHalcyon
Posted on07/28/04 11:17 PM



> I was getting some weird crashes before the mobo finally died and now that i
> swapped it, it's STILL crashing when i try to run some heavy game or something
> of the sort.

Try burning KNOPPIX and running it for a while and seeing if that crashes too, then you know it's not just the OS.

> But now i installed FarCry and something similar is happening. Once, after a few
> minutes playing, i get a BSD and a full crash, tried it again, and after a bit
> longer, the game just closes out of the blue without any error message. I'm
> afraid to try again and seeing smoke fly off. :-P

Memtest86?

> Does anybody have any idea what the hell might be happening here? I'm completly
> at a loss.
> I've directx9b, ran windows update a couple of days ago, the hds are perfectly
> defragged, the agp and ram slots are squeaky clean, as are the respective
> connectors on the card and ram, the comp hasn't been pushed to any extreme. I
> just can't grasp what the fuck it could be.
>
> FYI, i'm running an XP 1800, 768MB DDR266, GfTi 4 4200 on XP Pro.

Try the "largepageminimum.reg" patch?

> And that's without mentioning the avalanche of bullshit i'm getting from other
> software such as Visualboy advance, ICQ, Video Lan, etc. Computers are an
> extremely annoying hobby.

Weird...

> Could somebody please try to shed some light on the possible causes and
> hopefully, sollutions to this bugger's bullshit?

What's the exact model of your motherboard? I'll see if I can dig something up.




SubjectMobo is an Asus A7V8X-X. NT I'll look into those patches later today. Reply to this message
Posted byDeath Knight
Posted on07/29/04 08:01 AM



> > I was getting some weird crashes before the mobo finally died and now that i
> > swapped it, it's STILL crashing when i try to run some heavy game or something
> > of the sort.
>
> Try burning KNOPPIX and running it for a while and seeing if that crashes too,
> then you know it's not just the OS.
>
> > But now i installed FarCry and something similar is happening. Once, after a
> few
> > minutes playing, i get a BSD and a full crash, tried it again, and after a bit
> > longer, the game just closes out of the blue without any error message. I'm
> > afraid to try again and seeing smoke fly off. :-P
>
> Memtest86?
>
> > Does anybody have any idea what the hell might be happening here? I'm
> completly
> > at a loss.
> > I've directx9b, ran windows update a couple of days ago, the hds are perfectly
> > defragged, the agp and ram slots are squeaky clean, as are the respective
> > connectors on the card and ram, the comp hasn't been pushed to any extreme. I
> > just can't grasp what the fuck it could be.
> >
> > FYI, i'm running an XP 1800, 768MB DDR266, GfTi 4 4200 on XP Pro.
>
> Try the "largepageminimum.reg" patch?
>
> > And that's without mentioning the avalanche of bullshit i'm getting from other
> > software such as Visualboy advance, ICQ, Video Lan, etc. Computers are an
> > extremely annoying hobby.
>
> Weird...
>
> > Could somebody please try to shed some light on the possible causes and
> > hopefully, sollutions to this bugger's bullshit?
>
> What's the exact model of your motherboard? I'll see if I can dig something up.
>



Gives us a kiss precious.


Previous ThreadView All ThreadsNext Thread*Show in Threaded Mode