What's new since 2.7.0...
* Fixed major bug in ROM Audit functionality; renaming ROMs would create files without an extension.
* Partial workaround for sound not working in OpenGL video mode in Windows with ATI video hardware. Sound will now work for the first ROM selected, but not for subsequent ones (you will have to quit and restart Stella for sound to work again). Related to this, added '-audiofirst' commandline argument, which initializes audio before video when emulating a ROM. Further work is required to completely fix this bug.
* Fixed bug where volume wasn't being saved in 'Audio Settings' when started from the ROM launcher.
* Fixed crash which sometimes occurred when viewing snapshots in the ROM Info viewer.
* Allow setting window sizes for the ROM launcher and debugger to be larger than your desktop resolution. Be careful with this feature, as switching to fullscreen mode may cause problems in such cases.
* Made the ROM launcher filename filtering be case-insensitive. This fixes a bug whereby ROMs with uppercase extensions were marked as invalid.
* Added a pattern matching textbox to the ROM launcher, used to further filter the files shown in the listing. For now, this filters files only (directories are not filtered, and are always shown).
* The location of EEPROM files used for AtariVox/Savekey emulation can now be changed with the '-eepromdir' commandline argument as well as in the UI.
* Added '-gl_aspectn' and '-gl_aspectp' commandline arguments (and associated UI items), which replace the previous '-gl_aspect' setting. The aspect modes can now be set separately for NTSC and PAL mode. Related to this, the range of values is now 80 - 120.
* Fixed bug with hold-select/reset/button0 when overriding ROM properties; the checkboxes in the UI weren't actually doing anything.
* The 'grabmouse' option is now configurable from the UI; previously it was only accessible from the commandline or its shortcut key.
* Removed 'Emulation_HmoveBlanks' ROM property and associated UI item. You can no longer optionally turn off HMOVE blanking; it is always enabled when necessary.
Goat Arrested for Armed Robbery - A goat has been arrested for armed robbery in Nigeria. People believe that the goat is actually a man who has transformed himself into a goat, to avoid capture.
So, I guess the whole town will be eating kebabs tonight, unless they see that as cannibalism ofcourse ;)
Monday, January 26th 2009 - Last updated @ 06:33 EST
Per the included 'README.txt'...
"Altirra is an emulator for the Atari 8-bit series of home computers, including
the 800, 800XL, and 130XE versions. Because modern computers are so much
faster than the original 1.79MHz machine, a nearly complete emulation of the
hardware is provided and thus the emulator can run a large amount of the
software available for the platform."
- Fixed a bug that could write data to the wrong disk image (resulting in data loss)
Windows 7 vs Vista vs XP ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
Now that the Windows 7 beta is out, there are plenty of benchmarks being compiled. While 7 has been found to best XP and Vista during "real-world" tasks in some tests in the past, now it looks like XP is still the outright speed champ on current hardware.
- At starting, when the game that set the resume ("File->Set Resume" menu)
was opened, the bug that the setting of the "Vertical Stretched" of screen
mode was not reflected (generated from v1.67) was corrected.
- The timing of operation was brought close to a real machine more. In the
start of "Cosmic Fantasy 4 Totsunyuu hen", the problem that the screen
stops was solved.
+ The next upgrade has a big change point in the program. Therefore, I wish
that this becomes a current stability version. (I am testing the next
version of Ootake now.)
Thursday, January 22nd 2009 - Last updated @ 23:01 EST
Sun today released VirtualBox 2.1.2, a maintenance release which improves stability and performance. See the ChangeLog for a list of changes since VirtualBox 2.1.0.
StreetFighter Remix Competition! - To celebrate the coming release of SF4, there will be a SF Remix Compo, where you can download the OFFICIAL CAPCOM WAVE SAMPLES and create your own remix, submit it and hope to win that XBOX360 with SF4 game.
Damn, back in the day, you only needed to visit RG to actually win something ;)
- At starting, when the game that set the resume ("File->Set Resume" menu)
was opened, the bug that the resumed setting was not reflected in the
display of the menu (generated by 1.67) was corrected.
- The speed and timing were brought close to a real machine more. In the
battle scene of "Farjias no Jakoutei", the problem that the screen falls
into disorder by one frame (generated from v1.61) was solved.
+ I have an important news for the person who compiles(builds) the attached
source file and is using it. It is a switch of my development environment
for "Windows Vista"(and the later windows version).
I will use "Visual C++(Visual Studio)" from the next version (schedule).
Therefore, the appended source code becomes it for "Visual C++", too. It
is likely to be able to compile even in the environment before (MinGW,
gcc) by a little correction. However, "Visual C++ Express" is being
distributed free of charge by Microsoft Corporation now. I think that it
compiles easily when it is used.
Tuesday, January 20th 2009 - Last updated @ 19:59 EST
Raine 0.50.17 and NeoRaine 1.2.1 ────────────────────────────────────────────────── Raine and Neoraine live by their users. Since quite a few bugs have been reported lately, here is a double new release.
Processing that played the CD-DA sound source was brought close to a real machine. In the 3rd stage of "Super Darius", the problem that the boss had not appeared (generated from v1.65) was solved.
The display processing of the video chip was brought close to the movement of a real machine. In "Super Darius", the problem that sprite is not displayed in one line under the score display was solved.
In "CD Player (built-in System Card)", the bug that the last one track was not occasionally played was corrected.
When the CD-DA sound is played, the bug with the possibility of freezing it by the PC environment was corrected.
When "Screen->FullScreen Customize->FullScreen Resolution Auto Change" menu is used, the bug that the game of 336 dot mode had not been correctly occasionally judged was corrected. And, when 640x480 was set to "Resolution<1>", the bug that it was not able to be used was corrected.
In the personal computer environment that V-Sync cannot do, the tempo at the game speed is stabilized more.
When the resume function is used in the CD game, the CD game name is displayed, too.
The speed and timing were brought close to a real machine more.
Additionally, a detailed part has been improved and corrected.
Thursday, January 15th 2009 - Last updated @ 07:00 EST
Jackie Chan in 'Karate Kid' Remake - I'm not sure what to think of this since The Karate Kid is a classic and Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi was just wicked. It was a classic 80's movie and perhaps should stay that way.
In this remake (being made to help boost Jaden's career) Jackie Chan will take the role of Mr. Miyagi in the remake and Jaden Smith (Will Smith's son) will play the role of Daniel Larusso. Wax On?
Wednesday, January 14th 2009 - Last updated @ 23:08 EST
Apple II Gameserver updated to beta_3.0a - Apple II Gameserver allows you to send games directly to an old Apple II computer with no need for floppies, only a serial cable. No hardware modification is necessary, you only need a working serial connection.
Added true ][ and ][+ compatibility (thanks Nick!)
Added //gs support (untested on real //gs as of yet)
- Processing that played the CD-DA sound source was brought close to a real
machine. In "Mugen Senshi Valis", at combat against boss, the problem of
stopping (generated by v1.65) was solved.
- The timing of interrupt processing was brought close to the movement of a
real machine. In the demo of "Metal Angel", the problem that the noise of
one line was occasionally recorded on the screen (generated by v1.65) was
Wednesday, January 7th 2009 - Last updated @ 06:10 EST
New System Drivers Supported (in no particular order):
- Ivel Ultra [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Pecom 64 [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Sharp MZ80K [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Sony HB-10P/HB-20P [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Yamaha YIS503IIR Russian/Estonian [Miodrag Milanovic]
System Driver Changes:
- [ABC800M] Added HR graphics. [Curt Coder, Erik Isaksson]
- [ABC802] Added keyboard simulation. [Curt Coder]
- [ABC806] Added keyboard simulation and HR graphics. [Curt Coder, Erik Isaksson]
- [ADVISION] Fixed cartridge ROM banking. (bug #1690) [Curt Coder]
- [B2M] bug #1661 fixed [Miodrag Milanovic]
- [BBC] Changed memory handling for the 0xfc00 to 0xfeff memory region on the Master driver, to allow correct debugging of code in this area when ROM is paged in for read. [Phill Harvey-Smith]
- [BBC] Added version 3.20 of the Master MOS, selectable as a bios, as this is the more common version of the bios. [Phill Harvey-Smith]
- [BBC] Fixed up loading of 8K roms as cartriges so that they mirror correctly and don't cause an error on loading, 16K was already working correctly. [Phill Harvey-Smith]
- [BBC] Changed to use MAME's 6850 implemenation. Deleted MESS's private 6850 implementation. [Nathan Woods]
- [COCO] Fixed Dragon Alpha, via MAME update, the NMI enable/disable allowing disks to boot again. [Phill Harvey-Smith]
- [COCO] Minor cartridge loading code cleanups. [Nathan Woods]
- [COMX35] Added support for the 80 column card. [Curt Coder, Marcel van Tongeren]
- [GAMECOM] Fixed aspect ratio. [Justin Kerk]
- [GENEVE] Adds dip switch to select boot eprom version (0.9 or 1.0). Default is 1.0, making it behave as before. To use the old eprom, geneve.zip must contain a file genbt090.bin. Release dates of Geneve and GenMod adjusted. [Michael Zapf]
- [NES] Fixed bug #1672. [Wilbert Pol]
- [MSX] Update of Panasonic MSX disk ROMs [Miodrag Milanovic]
- [MSX] Update of Toshiba HX-20, HX-23 memory map [Miodrag Milanovic]
- [ONDRA] Both computers now work, cassette supported [Miodrag Milanovic]
- [TS2068] Fixed CPU and AY clocks based on crystal values from schematics [Justin Kerk, Lord Nightmare]
- The core is based on MAME 0.129. This incorporates all features of the update to this core. [MAME team]
- Changed the 8251 UART implementation to be a device. [Nathan Woods]
- Changed the 6551 ACIA implementation to be a device. [Nathan Woods]
- Changed the 8521 RTC implementation to be a device. [Nathan Woods]
- Changed the 8593 RTC implementation to be a device. [Nathan Woods]
- Changed the TMS5501 implementation to be a device. [Nathan Woods]
- Changed the MM58274C implementation to be a device. [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Changed the TTL74145 implementation to be a device. [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Changed the UPD7002 implementation to be a device. [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Changed the TMS9901 implementation to be a device. [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Changed the TMS9902 implementation to be a device. [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Changed the I8271 implementation to be a device. [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Changed the WD17XX implementation to be a device. [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Changed the NEC765 implementation to be a device. [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Changed the SAM6883 implementation to be a device. [Miodrag Milanovic]
- Changed the RP5C15 RTC implementation to be a device. [Barry Rodewald]
- Changed the 6525 TPI implementation to be a device and added save state support. [Dirk Best]
- Various code cleanups. [Atari Ace]
- Fixed regression that could cause hanging when creating an image from the command line or the MESSUI. (bug #1744) [Nathan Woods]
- Changed cartridges to be MAME devices. [Miodrag Milanovic, Nathan Woods]
Tuesday, January 6th 2009 - Last updated @ 21:18 EST
- Giga Wing (Brazil 990222)
- Armored Warriors (US 940920)
- Capcom Sports Club (Euro 971017)
- Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Euro 960229)
- Mighty! Pang (Euro 001010)
- Marvel Vs. Capcom (Euro 980123)
- Ghost Pilots (alternate set)
- Samurai Shodown (alternate set)
- Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (Rainbow set 3)
- Dynasty Wars (US set 2)
- Final Fight (Japan 900112)
- Sangokushi II: Huo Fenghuang (Chinese bootleg)
- Three Wonders (World 910520 hack ?)
* Added service mode button to CPS2 games.
* Removed decrypted M ROMs from NeoGeo sets.
* Changed SFZ2A naming and parenting to match MAME (0.129).
* Changed 'Muscle Bomber Duo' parenting to match MAME (0.129).
* Changed various CPS2, CPS1 and NeoGeo ROM names to match MAME (0.129).
MAMEUI [formerly Mame32] is the GUI version of MAME, a program which seeks to
document the internal hardware and code of all arcade games. Originally authored in 1997 by Chris Kirmse, it was the first port of Mame to the Windows platform. MameUI is currently maintained by team members: Kirmse, Mike Haaland, René Single, and John IV.
Speeding up the PSP - The CPU in the PSP was designed to run faster than it does out of the box. By default, the CPU runs at 222Mhz, but the MIPS R4000 processor was designed to run at 333Mhz with a 166Mhz bus. A custom firmware from team M33 is all that's needed to give you the ability to speed up your PSP, along with many more useful features.
Saturday, January 3rd 2009 - Last updated @ 23:55 EST
Converting a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO to NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB - A method for soft-modding an NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO into an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB has been found. This mod instantly gives you a GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB card at half the cost! Please do not attempt any of the steps in this article unless you are fully aware of the risks, and know what you are doing.
This new release is the product of hundreds of new code improvements: We now have an almost 100% reworked 3D core, which is shared amongst all ports for the first time, and have better save states. Compatibility has been improved across the board. The huge number of reworked systems and small fixes is noticeable on some games and homebrew games are running better–or even running at all for the first time. And this work has not stopped, so stay tuned for what’s coming in the future!
Thank You - I'd also like to thank the current crew for updating the site whenever they can. Eventhough the updates are not as frequent as they were way back when, but it's still good to see the site being updated :)
Furtermore, THANK YOU for visiting our site and getting us near the 55 MILLION mark. I'm just glad I didn't sell the site to eFront when they approached me. Sure, I didn't get the $500,000 (lots of strings attached aswell) but seeing the demise of them a month or so later, chances are I would have never seen a dime and lost RG in the process.
Hi Again :) - Just stopping-by quickly and wishing everyone all the best for the new year. Yes, it's the same old mushy crap you hear every year, but it's tradition and as such, it shall be honored ;)
I also hope that everyone had fun at their Xmas party / Chanukah /Kwanzaa festivities and is looking forward to another year of recession and depression *cough*.
I'll write some more after I finish watching the remaining episodes of THE MENTALIST (currently ep 5), gotta have something to do when there are no customers around.
The Read processing of the video chip was brought close to a real machine. In "Ys4", the problem that it freezed and the sound had stopped (generated from v1.61) was solved.
The timing of interrupt processing was brought close to the movement of a real machine. In the start demo of "Farjias no Jakoutei", the problem that the screen has fallen into disorder (generated by v1.63) was solved.
The speed and timing were brought close to a real machine more. In the opening demo of "Necros no Yousai", it became the same movement as a real machine.
When state is loaded, when the over scanning display setting is different, the bug to which the screen had not been correctly occasionally displayed was corrected.
When there is a record file that has already been recorded at the recording, overwrite is confirmed.
Additionally, a detailed part has been improved and corrected.
-Updated: Replaced SDL.dll with new EMU7800.Direct.dll for better fullscreen and windowed-mode experience on Vista.
-Updated: Corrected sound encoding to reduce audible pops.
-Updated: Fixed minor bugs with new TIA sprite positioning code that affected Demon Attack, Centipede, and Spiderfighter.
-Added: Key bindings reassignment dialog.